I chose one of my favorite photographs of our tugboat in the fog at Kake last year. It turned out to be a hard photograph because first, it was taken in the fog which gave some images blurred edges and some very sharp edges. Second, it was hard because of the contrast. I think the results were good, though.
The first step I took was import the image through the Adobe Bridge and corrected the colors with Auto Color. I then played with the Curve but did not like the results and reversed this changes. Then I tweaked the Hue/Saturation to +10. I then went to Levels/Histogram and raised both the Red Channel and the Midtone Values. The netfloats became too red and bright; also a glare in the sky. I then went to Window/Histogram and and tried to make changes from this window but couldn't. Next I tried the Shadow/Highlight command--this is a very good tool because it allowed me to raise the midtone contrast. But now the sky became too purple for my taste now so I went to variations and increased the Cyan. This I liked better but it still had too much blue (after I clicked OK--this is when I realized that the thumbnails are much too small). I then adjusted the slider to Fine and added back a little more red. Finally, I went back to Image/Adjustments/Auto Color to get slightly more contrast but the sky was still too red. In Hue/Saturation, I decreased the red saturation a few points.
I then tried to Fade "Fog #3" picture with the Edit/Fade Command but it was grayed out--this I discovered was because I had not selected a change command. To prove this, I made several lines with the pencil tool in yellow on another photo and the Fade command became active but I could only fade the last pass with the pencil. Interesting! So now I know how the Fade works--it only obeys the last command!

Last, I tried out the Gradient feature and made some interesting discoveries. I used a black/white photo and experimented with all the buttons. I then made a final change to the Katahdin in the Fog which looks like the Northern Lights on an old brown tone photograph.

The first step I took was import the image through the Adobe Bridge and corrected the colors with Auto Color. I then played with the Curve but did not like the results and reversed this changes. Then I tweaked the Hue/Saturation to +10. I then went to Levels/Histogram and raised both the Red Channel and the Midtone Values. The netfloats became too red and bright; also a glare in the sky. I then went to Window/Histogram and and tried to make changes from this window but couldn't. Next I tried the Shadow/Highlight command--this is a very good tool because it allowed me to raise the midtone contrast. But now the sky became too purple for my taste now so I went to variations and increased the Cyan. This I liked better but it still had too much blue (after I clicked OK--this is when I realized that the thumbnails are much too small). I then adjusted the slider to Fine and added back a little more red. Finally, I went back to Image/Adjustments/Auto Color to get slightly more contrast but the sky was still too red. In Hue/Saturation, I decreased the red saturation a few points.
I then tried to Fade "Fog #3" picture with the Edit/Fade Command but it was grayed out--this I discovered was because I had not selected a change command. To prove this, I made several lines with the pencil tool in yellow on another photo and the Fade command became active but I could only fade the last pass with the pencil. Interesting! So now I know how the Fade works--it only obeys the last command!
Last, I tried out the Gradient feature and made some interesting discoveries. I used a black/white photo and experimented with all the buttons. I then made a final change to the Katahdin in the Fog which looks like the Northern Lights on an old brown tone photograph.

One frustration is the copyright feature. I thought I had copyrighted all four photos but the original photo would not copyright; it showed a screen "This property cannot be modified."
I am not sure if I like picture 2 or 3 better. But it is definitely better than the original!
I am not sure if I like picture 2 or 3 better. But it is definitely better than the original!
Martina, Nice picture selection. Fog worked very well.
ReplyDeleteAwesome Pictures!
ReplyDelete