Thursday, March 15, 2007

Mid Term Part 1-My first job!


Shirt-Project

- My first job!

We are almost ready for the annual APPL meeting (Association for Public and Private Lands) in Sacramento, where Doug has a booth for his company to introduce his new posters and products to the National Parks. Since much of his company is run via the internet, his crew is scattered about the country and this will be the first time they meet. We wanted to have a “company uniform” for all of us with a company logo and name on the pocket. We ordered a simple shirt in Safari style, I copied the image from the web, and I designed the print as a draft for the embroidery.

First I changed the color of the shirt to match more closely the color we ordered. The company logo existed only as an artist drawing (.jpg) so I had to change it in Filter/Sketch/Stamp to an art line and then cleaned up the black spots with the brush tool, dipped in a white color! I then resized (smaller) the Logo to fit it on the shirt. I selected the logo with lots of Trial and Error with the Wand and Lasso tools and dragged it over to the shirt and placed it. I still had some of the white background in the logo and I did not like it, but left it for now and took a snapshot in the History palette.

For the pocket lettering, I then clicked on the Horizontal Type tool in the tool bar, selected the Font family to match Doug’s company font, Type size, Alignment and Text color in the menu bar and I also opened the Character palette with clicking on it. Next I took the cursor over to the shirt and wrote the name of the company (three words). I pressed Ctrl-A to highlight all three words and then clicked the small caps icon in the Character palette where I also adjusted the Type size and Leading. I skewed the text with clicking at Edit/Transform/Skew and dragged the handles till the text got tilted to my liking. I took another snaphot (great tool)!


I was still not really happy with the result of the logo because of the white background and it looks too straight and artificially placed. I took the Healing Brush and erased the Logo and also created a wrinkle in the shirt. It looked more natural to me now. Then I used the magic wand by clicking the shift-key and selected all the black areas from the logo and dragged it over to the shirt. Next I skewed the logo to match the pocket angle and finally took another snapshot.
Here is the result. Let’s hope that the new shirts look halfway like my creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment